Old 22-05-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default is it hard to grow thyme in pots?

In article ,
GH writes:

| I am trying to grow some herbs for culinary purposes. The local veg
| shop sells pots with thyme and other herbs. Is it realistic to expect
| the thyme to survive for a year or two in the pot? What kind of soil
| would it need to do best?

No. It is one of the ones that grows very well in a pot, and could
easily last 5-10 years or more in a suitable pot. It needs a well
drained loam-based compost, NOT a peat-based one, and a 5" pot is
a reasonable initial size. It needs full light, preferably sun,
and is hardy against all except the hardest frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.