Old 22-05-2008, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH GH is offline

Default is it hard to grow thyme in pots?

Hello,

I am trying to grow some herbs for culinary purposes. The local veg
shop sells pots with thyme and other herbs. Is it realistic to expect
the thyme to survive for a year or two in the pot? What kind of soil
would it need to do best?

Thank you for your time and help
Old 22-05-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
GH writes:

| I am trying to grow some herbs for culinary purposes. The local veg
| shop sells pots with thyme and other herbs. Is it realistic to expect
| the thyme to survive for a year or two in the pot? What kind of soil
| would it need to do best?

No. It is one of the ones that grows very well in a pot, and could
easily last 5-10 years or more in a suitable pot. It needs a well
drained loam-based compost, NOT a peat-based one, and a 5" pot is
a reasonable initial size. It needs full light, preferably sun,
and is hardy against all except the hardest frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
GH writes:

| I am trying to grow some herbs for culinary purposes. The local veg
| shop sells pots with thyme and other herbs. Is it realistic to expect
| the thyme to survive for a year or two in the pot? What kind of soil
| would it need to do best?

No. It is one of the ones that grows very well in a pot, and could
easily last 5-10 years or more in a suitable pot. It needs a well
drained loam-based compost, NOT a peat-based one, and a 5" pot is
a reasonable initial size. It needs full light, preferably sun,
and is hardy against all except the hardest frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I grow thyme, sage, mint, rosemary and chives all in pots using standard
compost, all have thrived for three years now. I also grow flat and
curly leaved parsley the same, but that of course is an annual. I have
got hold of a tarragon and hope that will thrive as well, time will tell.

Old 22-05-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I grow thyme, sage, mint, rosemary and chives all in pots using standard
| compost, all have thrived for three years now. I also grow flat and
| curly leaved parsley the same, but that of course is an annual. I have
| got hold of a tarragon and hope that will thrive as well, time will tell.

What do you mean by 'standard compost', and how often do you change
it (report or whatever)? The problem for plants like thyme with
the soilless composts is that the composts break down, and stop being
free-draining.

I managed to kill even some butterwort that way :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nic:

| I grow thyme, sage, mint, rosemary and chives all in pots using
standard
| compost, all have thrived for three years now. I also grow flat and
| curly leaved parsley the same, but that of course is an annual. I have
| got hold of a tarragon and hope that will thrive as well, time will
tell.

I grow thyme in a hollow tree stump, I put in a handfull of whatevever I
have in the way of compost and it grows happily and looks very pretty

kate

Old 23-05-2008, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I grow thyme, sage, mint, rosemary and chives all in pots using standard
| compost, all have thrived for three years now. I also grow flat and
| curly leaved parsley the same, but that of course is an annual. I have
| got hold of a tarragon and hope that will thrive as well, time will tell.

What do you mean by 'standard compost', and how often do you change
it (report or whatever)? The problem for plants like thyme with
the soilless composts is that the composts break down, and stop being
free-draining.

I managed to kill even some butterwort that way :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I put a few pieces of polystyrene at the bottom of the pots, roughly 18"
diameter and 18" high, fill them with compost from the local garden
centre (3 bags for a pound, multi purpose, whatever they have in stock)
I find that thyme does not require much water, just water when they look
as though they are starting to wilt. sorry I can't be more specific
Nick. I garden on the premise if it survives fine, if not forget it! ;-)
Old 23-05-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I put a few pieces of polystyrene at the bottom of the pots, roughly 18"
| diameter and 18" high, fill them with compost from the local garden
| centre (3 bags for a pound, multi purpose, whatever they have in stock)
| I find that thyme does not require much water, just water when they look
| as though they are starting to wilt. sorry I can't be more specific
| Nick. I garden on the premise if it survives fine, if not forget it! ;-)

We are at cross purposes. I am referring to the way that soilless
composts break down - and that can be due to just rainfall. How
often did/do you repot, for example?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-05-2008, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I put a few pieces of polystyrene at the bottom of the pots, roughly 18"
| diameter and 18" high, fill them with compost from the local garden
| centre (3 bags for a pound, multi purpose, whatever they have in stock)
| I find that thyme does not require much water, just water when they look
| as though they are starting to wilt. sorry I can't be more specific
| Nick. I garden on the premise if it survives fine, if not forget it! ;-)

We are at cross purposes. I am referring to the way that soilless
composts break down - and that can be due to just rainfall. How
often did/do you repot, for example?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have only re-potted the thyme this year after 4 years, that I only did
because it had got very leggy and woody, the others (all planted 3-4
years ago) I have not re-potted. Whether it was soiless compost or not I
do not know, the bags it came is are long gone.
Old 24-05-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| We are at cross purposes. I am referring to the way that soilless
| composts break down - and that can be due to just rainfall. How
| often did/do you repot, for example?
| .
| I have only re-potted the thyme this year after 4 years, that I only did
| because it had got very leggy and woody, the others (all planted 3-4
| years ago) I have not re-potted. Whether it was soiless compost or not I
| do not know, the bags it came is are long gone.

You don't need the bags - just shake some up with water in a transparent
container and let it stand - you can see the sand and silt drop out of
"John Innes" composts, but not from soilless ones.

You probably wouldn't notice in 3-4 years, as most soilless composts
will not have completely broken down by then. You need a "John Innes"
compost for it to grow in the same pot for 5-10 years; that is generally
better, anyway, but I agree it will grow in almost anything that doesn't
waterlog.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.