Old 23-05-2008, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] esplanadetenby@googlemail.com is offline

Default Greenhouse temperature

On May 23, 1:39Â*pm, Martin Brown
On May 20, 8:20�am, Martin Brown
Hi, having just purchased an automatic vent openner for my greenhouse,
what is a suitable temperature to set it open at, I'm growing tomatoes
and melons (hopefully). And in a similar vein, is shading for the
greenhouse a necessity.
Thermostatic vents are OK, but the amount of venting they can provide
seldom provides enough airflow to bring the temperature down in
mid-summer. I'd set it for full open at 30C but don't expect good
regulation.

They are great for keeping it from getting too warm in mid winter though.

I have hardly ever shaded mine. I did in the early days. Most things I
grow including tomatoes will tolerate full UK sun if they are used to it.