Old 19-05-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse temperature

Hi, having just purchased an automatic vent openner for my greenhouse,
what is a suitable temperature to set it open at, I'm growing tomatoes
and melons (hopefully). And in a similar vein, is shading for the
greenhouse a necessity.
Many thanks in advance.

Peter
Old 19-05-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter wrote
Hi, having just purchased an automatic vent openner for my greenhouse,
what is a suitable temperature to set it open at, I'm growing tomatoes
and melons (hopefully). And in a similar vein, is shading for the
greenhouse a necessity.
Many thanks in advance.

Get yourself a good Max/Min thermometer and use that to set when the vent
opens/shuts.
From what I've read at 80°F tomatoes stop growing so try to keep it under
that if possible.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-05-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 20, 8:20�am, Martin Brown
Hi, having just purchased an automatic vent openner for my greenhouse,
what is a suitable temperature to set it open at, I'm growing tomatoes
and melons (hopefully). And in a similar vein, is shading for the
greenhouse a necessity.

Thermostatic vents are OK, but the amount of venting they can provide
seldom provides enough airflow to bring the temperature down in
mid-summer. I'd set it for full open at 30C but don't expect good
regulation.

They are great for keeping it from getting too warm in mid winter though.

I have hardly ever shaded mine. I did in the early days. Most things I
grow including tomatoes will tolerate full UK sun if they are used to it.

If it looks like it will be a really hot day then leave the door open
and damp down as well. Provided that the plants have enough water they
don't seem to care too much about how hot it gets.

Regards,
Martin Brown
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Thank you for the replies, the vent is fitted, typically the 'fits all
types of greenhouse' claim wasn't strictly correct, but it seems to
work OK, I'll wait and see with the shading.

Regards
Peter
Old 23-05-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On May 20, 8:20�am, Martin Brown
[...]

The only other thing I would suggest is in mid-winter when a major storm
is forecast put an aluminium spring clip to hold the window down.

I found that gales were capable of lifting the opening window up and
snapping it back. This wrecks the mechanism and the cylinder doesn't
recover. We have very strong gales where I live in exposed N Yorks. Some
recommend storing them somewhere frost free for winter.

Regards,
Martin Brown
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **