Old 23-05-2008, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default is it hard to grow thyme in pots?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I grow thyme, sage, mint, rosemary and chives all in pots using standard
| compost, all have thrived for three years now. I also grow flat and
| curly leaved parsley the same, but that of course is an annual. I have
| got hold of a tarragon and hope that will thrive as well, time will tell.

What do you mean by 'standard compost', and how often do you change
it (report or whatever)? The problem for plants like thyme with
the soilless composts is that the composts break down, and stop being
free-draining.

I managed to kill even some butterwort that way :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I put a few pieces of polystyrene at the bottom of the pots, roughly 18"
diameter and 18" high, fill them with compost from the local garden
centre (3 bags for a pound, multi purpose, whatever they have in stock)
I find that thyme does not require much water, just water when they look
as though they are starting to wilt. sorry I can't be more specific
Nick. I garden on the premise if it survives fine, if not forget it! ;-)