Old 24-05-2008, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default is it hard to grow thyme in pots?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I put a few pieces of polystyrene at the bottom of the pots, roughly 18"
| diameter and 18" high, fill them with compost from the local garden
| centre (3 bags for a pound, multi purpose, whatever they have in stock)
| I find that thyme does not require much water, just water when they look
| as though they are starting to wilt. sorry I can't be more specific
| Nick. I garden on the premise if it survives fine, if not forget it! ;-)

We are at cross purposes. I am referring to the way that soilless
composts break down - and that can be due to just rainfall. How
often did/do you repot, for example?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have only re-potted the thyme this year after 4 years, that I only did
because it had got very leggy and woody, the others (all planted 3-4
years ago) I have not re-potted. Whether it was soiless compost or not I
do not know, the bags it came is are long gone.