Old 24-05-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default is it hard to grow thyme in pots?

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| We are at cross purposes. I am referring to the way that soilless
| composts break down - and that can be due to just rainfall. How
| often did/do you repot, for example?
| .
| I have only re-potted the thyme this year after 4 years, that I only did
| because it had got very leggy and woody, the others (all planted 3-4
| years ago) I have not re-potted. Whether it was soiless compost or not I
| do not know, the bags it came is are long gone.

You don't need the bags - just shake some up with water in a transparent
container and let it stand - you can see the sand and silt drop out of
"John Innes" composts, but not from soilless ones.

You probably wouldn't notice in 3-4 years, as most soilless composts
will not have completely broken down by then. You need a "John Innes"
compost for it to grow in the same pot for 5-10 years; that is generally
better, anyway, but I agree it will grow in almost anything that doesn't
waterlog.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.