Old 25-05-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_2_] Rod[_2_] is offline

Default What is a "grain"?

Michael Bell wrote:
We all know what a "fruit" or a "vegetable" are. They are plant
products which are soft and wet and have limited storage life. They
die, then they rot, and who wants to eat rotten fruit and vegetables?

But what is a "grain"? It seems to me that a grain is a plant product
which is hard and dry and has indefinite storage life. It may die, but
you can hardly tell, it can still be eaten.

Is this correct? Wheat is stored, as strategic food reserve, if not
actually as a commercial operation, for many years. Are the wheat
seeds dead when take out and milled? And does it make any difference
to the flour?

Most grain is the fruit of grasses. A few exceptions - buckwheat and quinoa.

Grain is what is stored in granaries.

--
Rod

onset.