Old 26-05-2008, 08:00 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default anyone else have a field solid in clover?? a field entirelyin clover, how to get it and keep it; experiment

On May 23, 1:47 am, wrote:
wrote:
On May 22, 6:10�pm, wrote:
What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

There are different types of clover; however generally speaking,
cutting about 6 inches above the ground favors clover at the
detriment of grass. With an annual clover it is best to stop mowing
once the seed pods start to form so your clover will reseed.

Small grains and even some vegetables can be grown in a
field of clover without ploughing. The grains, barley, wheat, etc.
will just grow through the cover of clover.

Dieter

Thanks for the advice. I never realized that a crop can grow right
through
a clover cover. That sounds like the most perfect form of agriculture
where
the clover stops erosion, stops ploughing and adds fertilizer to the
crop.

Yes, I would think that is the maximum agriculture. To gain a field in
clover
and then plant a crop. Never ploughing and never needing to fertilize.

About the only thing to do is to mow between the crop rows.

I hate to mow through my clover which is almost knee deep.

Dieter, a further question. Can you recommend a species of clover
which is
the most tough and long lasting of the clovers? Is it a white clover?
What is
the most durable clovers?

Experimenting with activated teas. Whatever microbes
are present in healthy clumps of clover can be multiplied
astronomically by dumping a couple of generous handfuls
of soil into a bucket of chlorine-free water with a shot of
molasses or other sugar source. Aerate with an aquarium
stone for several days, then dilute and apply to the field to
be inoculated.

I figure teas for specific plants can be brewed just by
using samples of the appropriate humus as the base.