Old 26-05-2008, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Core aeration

On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:27:07 +0100, Slarti
wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking at aerating my lawn, as I now have one that's in reasonable
condition and I want to keep it that way.

I was going to start doing it by using a fork but then read that core
aeration's far better, as using a fork actually compacts the soil. I
then looked into this and saw sites saying that you should leave the
cores on the surface as when they breakdown that helps the lawn. Then
I also read that you should put sand on afterwards.

So, I've got a few questions that I hoped more knowledgeable people
could answer.

1) For a normal, garden lawn that's just intended to be a lawn that
looks ok is there really and need to use a core aerator rather than
just using a fork?

I prefer to core the lawn. I've had better results. Coring IMO allows
more oxygen into the soil.

2) If I did buy a core aerator, should I leave the plugs it extracts on
the surface like I've heard you should? I'd have thought that on a
garden lawn I'd end up with a muddy mess if I did that!

Don't buy one for just occasional use. Rent it for the (core machine)
day.

I leave the cores on the lawn. They break down over a week or so,
anyway. While the plug holes are open I toss into the lawn the
fertilizer, etc.

3) Is it necessary to apply sand afterwards? I don't doubt it's better
to do it, but is it essential?

While the plugs are open, sand would not hurt. It will help with
drainage; keeping more water on the lawn...less run off.

These methods really improved my lawn.

Thanks is advance!