Old 26-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Registered User

Default Core aeration

Hello,

I'm looking at aerating my lawn, as I now have one that's in reasonable condition and I want to keep it that way.

I was going to start doing it by using a fork but then read that core aeration's far better, as using a fork actually compacts the soil. I then looked into this and saw sites saying that you should leave the cores on the surface as when they breakdown that helps the lawn. Then I also read that you should put sand on afterwards.

So, I've got a few questions that I hoped more knowledgeable people could answer.

1) For a normal, garden lawn that's just intended to be a lawn that looks ok is there really and need to use a core aerator rather than just using a fork?

2) If I did buy a core aerator, should I leave the plugs it extracts on the surface like I've heard you should? I'd have thought that on a garden lawn I'd end up with a muddy mess if I did that!

3) Is it necessary to apply sand afterwards? I don't doubt it's better to do it, but is it essential?

Thanks is advance!
Old 26-05-2008, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:27:07 +0100, Slarti
wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking at aerating my lawn, as I now have one that's in reasonable
condition and I want to keep it that way.

I was going to start doing it by using a fork but then read that core
aeration's far better, as using a fork actually compacts the soil. I
then looked into this and saw sites saying that you should leave the
cores on the surface as when they breakdown that helps the lawn. Then
I also read that you should put sand on afterwards.

So, I've got a few questions that I hoped more knowledgeable people
could answer.

1) For a normal, garden lawn that's just intended to be a lawn that
looks ok is there really and need to use a core aerator rather than
just using a fork?

I prefer to core the lawn. I've had better results. Coring IMO allows
more oxygen into the soil.

2) If I did buy a core aerator, should I leave the plugs it extracts on
the surface like I've heard you should? I'd have thought that on a
garden lawn I'd end up with a muddy mess if I did that!

Don't buy one for just occasional use. Rent it for the (core machine)
day.

I leave the cores on the lawn. They break down over a week or so,
anyway. While the plug holes are open I toss into the lawn the
fertilizer, etc.

3) Is it necessary to apply sand afterwards? I don't doubt it's better
to do it, but is it essential?

While the plugs are open, sand would not hurt. It will help with
drainage; keeping more water on the lawn...less run off.

These methods really improved my lawn.

Thanks is advance!

Old 27-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply - very useful. I was most unsure about leaving the plugs on the surface as it's bound to be messy, but if they breakdown over a week or so then that's not too bad so long as I've cut the grass beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post

Old 28-05-2008, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 27, 5:18*am, Slarti wrote:
Thanks for the reply - very useful. *I was most unsure about leaving the
plugs on the surface as it's bound to be messy, but if they breakdown
over a week or so then that's not too bad so long as I've cut the grass
beforehand.

'Oren[_2_ Wrote:

;794503']On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:27:07 +0100, Slarti
-

--
Slarti- Hide quoted text -

I can't imagine doing any reasonable size lawn with a pitch fork, just
from the labor involved. Plus, while beneficial, core aeration
isn't absolutely essential, unless you have a specific problem that it
will help address, like compacted soil, excessive thatch, etc. So,
I'd either do it easy and the right way with a core aerator, or not at
all. As suggested, just rent one.

The plugs disappear in a couple weeks. Mowing will help disperse
them as well. I've never seen anyone apply sand afterwards. If the
soil specifically needed sand, then I guess that would be one way to
apply it. But on a routine basis, no need to. For one thing, it
doesn't sound particularly effective. I'd wonder how much sand winds
up in the actual holes as opposed to on top of the grass, around it,
etc.

As far as timing, I'd do it in early Fall. The process tears up the
lawn a bit, which opens it up to weeds. That will be less of a
problem in Fall. It's also better because of no issue of conflict
with pre-emergent, ideal to overseed, etc.