Old 06-04-2003, 07:44 AM
homer

Default Rhubarb

Mine grows like a weed. I live in Portland, OR. I actually tried getting
rid of it last year and dug out about one cubic foot of earth around where
it grew. It came back enough for my new girlfriend to make two strawberry
rhubard pies (things have worked out so I haven't tried to kill it again
this year ).

My guess is that the parent is right; too hot or humid.

Jay

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Dwayne"

wrote:

Hi Paul. I live in zone 5 and mine has come up. When I lived in

Arkansas,
zone 7, we tried planting it twice and never had any live over one year.
Maybe it is too humid, or something killed it. No one else we knew had

any
luck growing it there either.

Hope someone can give you a better answer. Dwayne

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen

any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

Rhubarb won't grow in the south -- it's too hot down there.

My Rodale book says "rhubarb needs at least two months of cold weather and
does best in areas with 2"-3" deep ground-freezes and moist, cool

springs."

Jan