Old 27-05-2008, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Banana Trees

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
On May 26, 8:16?pm, "Ed" wrote:
I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new
leaves like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack,
and turn brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term
leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We
have
had lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s.
I'm thinking this might be the problem. In just the past few days,
the weather seems to have stabalized and actually hit the warmer
Spring temps. Now we're in to upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Bananas don't grow on trees.

So what do they grow on?

They are a herbaceous plant with many fibrous roots like grass, not like a
tree with a taproot and woody trunk The main structure that looks like a
trunk is more like a rolled up bunch of leaves and it's called a pseudostem.
But when you are having problems growing them in zone 6a that fact is just
pseudo-relevant.

David