Old 28-05-2008, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Banana Trees

I do keep them in a greenhouse during the cold months. Inside temps never
got below 52 degrees. I just recently moved them outside. The leaves were
splitting and turning black even in the greenhouse.

Ed

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Sheldon" wrote in message

Bananas are tropical/subtropical plants. The coolest place they are grown
commercially (just as a measure of suitability) here is on frost-free
regions near the coast in zone 10 and that is not optimal. Although
growing in cooler zones is possible if you baby them and you don't expect
to get good fruit. By that I mean put them in full sun in the warmest
spot you have, protect from frost and maybe grow only in the warmer
months. I infer that you have had them indoors, perhaps you put them out
too soon or the indoor spot just got too cold. Growing them outdoors in
zone 6a will be a challenge. Good luck.

David