Old 28-05-2008, 12:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Any tips for a beginner?

David Hare-Scott wrote:

HOGS meetings are at organic growing establishments all around the Hunter.
Some are private homes on a small block, some are mixed farms, orchards, worm
farms, deer farms etc. The Island is a kind of home base where we go to do
things appropriate to most gardens, like make compost, prune fruit trees, make
new gardens.

We assemble at noon and have lunch together (BYO). The meeting starts at 1PM,
we have afternoon tea about 3 and it breaks up about 4-4:30. Bring surplus
produce, if you have any, to share or swap.

To get the next meeting at the City Farm, turn on to Ash island bridge on the
Hunter, from the New England Highway at Sandgate (near MacDonalds). Follow a
twisty road across the island for a few kms, there will be "HOGS" signs to
guide you.

They are a friendly bunch who don't mind beginners and they will answer all
your questions. Anybody can turn up at meetings but if you join you also get
a quarterly magazine, the use of the library etc.

David

Thanks, David. Dunno whether we'll make this meeting (Scouting
commitments are nearly every weekend at the moment), but maybe another one?

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia