Old 28-05-2008, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mogga Mogga is offline

Default Gardeners World. Allotments and Joe Swift

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:42:20 +0100, dave wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:04:04 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

I was really looking forward to the present series of Gardeners World
when it was announced that they would be doing an allotment from scratch
as I am in a similar position and was hoping to learn from this.

But then, unaccountably, the BBC put Joe Swift in charge of this!!

First off, he hires a JCB to skim off all the surface grass and weeds.
Well, how practical is that for most allotmenteers? I can barely get a
wheelbarrow to my plot!!

From now on, I won't worry a bit if I miss Gardeners World.

I think I can get proper expert advice from my fellow allomenteers
who've got years of experience and are real gardeners.

Ed

I'm no gardener at all but would like to learn a bit about "real"
allotments too. I've just found out though that the waiting list in my
area is several years so I'm probably not going to get one anyway.

In theory you can push your council to provide extra.
There's a queue of 18 on my council's nearest one and only 24 plots so
it'll be a long time waiting for me too. Sadly for me people from
outside Oldham can apply for plots here but I can't apply for a plot
in neighbouring Manchester.

However I do share your sentiments on this. It is, I think, the way of
so many TV programs these days: trivial superficial and all about 1
second scene changes to canned music. As an engineer I used to enjoy
motoring programs - but those 3 lemons Clarkson et al know nothing
about the engineerg but a lot about colours, cost, model numbers and
catchy punchlines. Off topic I know.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk