Old 29-05-2008, 07:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Sarah Houston Sarah Houston is offline

Default Mower wheels

Husky wrote :

Sarah Houston wrote:
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the
height by changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with
a caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one
that's 10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?

It is probably a 1/2 or 5/8 shoulder bolt with a 3/8 threaded end.

Why not try putting the current wheel and bolt through one of the
other holes in the deck? Move down in the deck to raise the cutting
height and up in the deck to lower it.

As it happens, I found some holes that were already there and moved the
adjusting tabs down to them and used 1/4"-20 bolts and nylocks to hold
them there.

My mower now sits at about 4" above ground level and the front wheel
drive still works.

Whew.