Old 30-05-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default One acorn germinated

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
This was last year's germination and it had shed its leaves during winter
but has releafed to show me it is an Oak. It has violin shaped leaves.
Which Oak is that?
So far it is thriving and I hope it continues. I will feed it miracle
grow and will repot when it outgrows this one.
Jackie

It is not a live oak. These shed their leaves in early spring. If the
leaves were intensely red at time of shed, its a red oak. All the oaks I've
seen, their leaves more resemble the bass violin, not a violin in shape.

The best advice I can give you when the sapling is ready, plant it
immediately in the location you intend. Don't spoil it with additives,
you're intensifying the shock at the time of transplant. After transplant,
let it be. A slow, slow drip of water if dry is okay. Idea is to get the
rootage motivated in the downward direction, and adjusted to the soil its
planted in.
--
Dave