Old 29-05-2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default One acorn germinated

This was last year's germination and it had shed its leaves during winter
but has releafed to show me it is an Oak. It has violin shaped leaves.
Which Oak is that?
So far it is thriving and I hope it continues. I will feed it miracle grow
and will repot when it outgrows this one.
Jackie

Old 30-05-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jackie

What you would be doing is adding some of the essential elements as a
fertilizer which has been mislabeled as plant food. If you are a ghost
flower you won't but most plants manufacture their own food and are
considered autotrophs. Humans are heterotrophs which means they have to
have some one or something else manufacture our food for us. I would at
least only use half of what they recommend. Urea is most likely in the
fertilizer and that can play games in the rhizosphere which is in the
rhizoplane. Information on rhizosphere can be found he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Ghost flowers he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...flowers-1.html they
get their food by way of the bicarbohydrate transfer of plants. It burns
fuel from other living plants. Usually an relationship like that is mutual.
I wonder what benefit the ghost flowers give to the supplier of food?

I just made a decision to not use a product with urea for just that reason.
I found a solution of many microelements and some biostimulators (sic?) with
very little nitrogen. It just happens to be organic and natural. I would
have used it even if it was not organic. It had the elements that I was
looking for and not with urea and not with fast release nitrogen, so I use
it..

I hope you are not offended, but I will share some definitions I enjoy
understanding. many people on this list dispute them. They were something
my professor taught me, with great effort on my part, to help me understand
trees and their associates as well as the treatments, we as humans impose.
The more clearly he defined his terms the better I would understand what he
was saying. Many around the world have learned a great deal from him.
E.g., Spain, Italy, Germany, Australia, etc.

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed by plants.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 30-05-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
This was last year's germination and it had shed its leaves during winter
but has releafed to show me it is an Oak. It has violin shaped leaves.
Which Oak is that?
So far it is thriving and I hope it continues. I will feed it miracle
grow and will repot when it outgrows this one.
Jackie

It is not a live oak. These shed their leaves in early spring. If the
leaves were intensely red at time of shed, its a red oak. All the oaks I've
seen, their leaves more resemble the bass violin, not a violin in shape.

The best advice I can give you when the sapling is ready, plant it
immediately in the location you intend. Don't spoil it with additives,
you're intensifying the shock at the time of transplant. After transplant,
let it be. A slow, slow drip of water if dry is okay. Idea is to get the
rootage motivated in the downward direction, and adjusted to the soil its
planted in.
--
Dave

Old 30-05-2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

John, I appreciate your help and I respect your wisdom and knowledge. I put
the tiny measurement of miracle grow in 1 gal. of water, I expect it is
probably 1/2 tsp.
Tomorrow I plan to repot into larger pots two catalpas which are about 8
inches tall. I have 4 catalpas altogether and all look happy. My contorted
willows do not seem happy right now but there are no pests on them. I will
watch them to see what is going on.
Our Cataract Palm was sticky and I found some scale or something, little
brownish round things, on it, so I cut off the offending branches, sprayed
it with Safer Soap and we have taken it out to the patio and given it a good
bath. We plan to cover the patio and I hope to leave the Palm outside when
that happens. Now it is in our south facing sun room.
Jackie.
"symplastless" wrote in message
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
.

Old 30-05-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks, Dave. Very helpful.
Jackie

Old 31-05-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jackie

One thing to know is that over fertilization of nitrogen fertilizer will
create a predisposition for sucking insects. In other words, nitrogen dose
can be the cause of sucking insects.

Old 31-05-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

One thing to know is that over fertilization of nitrogen fertilizer will
create a predisposition for sucking insects. In other words, nitrogen dose
can be the cause of sucking insects.

You mean that nitrate deposition in the leaves of plants, caused by
salts of nitrates (NO3-) from chemical fertilizers, will attract insects
who wish to eat those leaves for there nitrate content. It isn't caused
by over fertilization, or over application, call it what you may, it is
caused by the use of chemical fertilizers.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
It isn't caused
by over fertilization, or over application, call it what you may, it is
caused by the use of chemical fertilizers.

You say chemical fertilizers as if there was a fertilizer that was not made
up of chemicals. If I use water to water a tree it is a chemical. H2O!
What kind of fertilizer is there that is not made up of chemicals?

We have known for a while how to stimulate growth: add a nitrogen source to
soil or leaves and shoots will grow bigger. What we cannot do directly is
add an energy source to trees. When growth increases, energy goes out of
the system first. Then maintenance and defense must also increase after
this for the added living matter. If stored energy is used to meet the
added growth demands, little stored energy remains for defense, leaving a
bigger plant with a smaller defense system. Any number of insects and
microorganisms "know" this. The classic example is fire blight. Add
nitrogen to a tree that has a little fire blight and the disease will spread
rapidly. Add an overdose of nitrogen to trees and any number of sucking
insects will be there.

I suggest A TOUCH OF CHEMISTRY:

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Billy" wrote in message
It isn't caused
by over fertilization, or over application, call it what you may, it is
caused by the use of chemical fertilizers.

You say chemical fertilizers as if there was a fertilizer that was not
made up of chemicals. If I use water to water a tree it is a chemical.
H2O! What kind of fertilizer is there that is not made up of chemicals?

Horse shit.

We have known for a while how to stimulate growth: add a nitrogen source
to soil or leaves and shoots will grow bigger. What we cannot do directly
is add an energy source to trees. When growth increases, energy goes out
of the system first. Then maintenance and defense must also increase
after this for the added living matter. If stored energy is used to meet
the added growth demands, little stored energy remains for defense,
leaving a bigger plant with a smaller defense system. Any number of
insects and microorganisms "know" this. The classic example is fire
blight. Add nitrogen to a tree that has a little fire blight and the
disease will spread rapidly. Add an overdose of nitrogen to trees and any
number of sucking insects will be there.

I suggest A TOUCH OF CHEMISTRY:

http://www.treedicti3onary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Horse shit

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/2008 12:54 PM, Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
This was last year's germination and it had shed its leaves during winter
but has releafed to show me it is an Oak. It has violin shaped leaves.
Which Oak is that?
So far it is thriving and I hope it continues. I will feed it miracle grow
and will repot when it outgrows this one.
Jackie

If the leaf edges are rounded and not pointed, it is likely some kind of
white oak.

Do not oever-feed it. Many oaks prefer a "lean" soil.

Where are you? If this is a western oak (e.g., Quercus lobata or valley
white oak), additional care is needed. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean