Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Camelias

In article ,
Peter Donovan wrote:
In have a problem with a Camellia somebody might help me with.I have two
plants one on the front garden and one at the rear.The rear garden plant is
full of blossom,and doing fine every year.While the one at the front garden
is looking very poorly with yellowish leaves,and no flowers.The soil is the
same both back and front I have given the poor plant a good dose of dried
blood fertiliser to see if that is the problem.The soil must be pretty acid
as my Rhosedendrun grow well.Any ideas?

Check the drainage. Camellias hate waterlogging (and drying out!)
If it is not that, there may be some builder's rubble underneath,
so try some of the treatments to make alkaline soil temporarily acid.
And, of course, you could try some Epsom salts.

If you do those reasonably well separated, you will see which works.
If none, the plant may have got a viral infection, though I haven't
heard of them being particularly susceptible. But I am no camellia
expert, so I may well have got the causes in the wrong order of
likelihood!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.