Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default fig tree

The message
from solaara contains these words:

I have a three year old fig tree...The last two years I had some figs,
which did not ripen, but fell off when they were quite small... What
am I .doing wrong?

Probably, nothing.

Figs generally have three crops a year, and two of them get hootered by
the cold weather.

Just have patience, if it is a variety which doesn't need the little
wasp which fertilises many Mediterranian or sub-tropical varieties.

Brown Turkey is the best-known fig which will ripen here, and I believe
that other ones are closely related to that.

Ideally, you bury a container in the ground - something like the
stainless steel drum of a washing machine or tumble dryer, fill it with
soil and grow it in that.

Otherwise, the tree takes over. (Mine is in an old bath, and it's four
years old, and I had pounds of figs last year.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig