Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Salting Pond

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:56:16 EDT, burky
wrote:

We have a pond that holds 3,275 gallons of water. We have 20 koi in it
& some of them are flashing. We was told to use salt. we was wondering
what would be the amount we need & if we can use it in conjunction
with lymnozyme.

Start out with 0.1% or 27.292 lbs of salt. You can round that up to 28 and
see if that helps. Locally we get Morton's water soften salt in a blue bag.
You want salt that is something like 99% pure, no additives. Yes, Lymnozyme
is okay, and good to have in there when flashing.

If they continue flashing you may have to go higher, but don't go over 28
lbs in one day. If they are all flashing, and doing it a lot. You may have
to scrape and scope your fish to know what is bugging them and what
treatment course will work.

Some plants are sensitive to salt over 0.1%. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us