Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Shaping Lilac Tree

"Ben" wrote in message
I have planted four Lilac trees at the back of my property for
eventual privacy above the six foot fence. I hope to create an above
ground hedge

I would like to try and bend some of the branches horizontally.
There is 6mm bonsai wire available good for maybe 3/8' branches.

I could wire them to the ground for a season or two or string wires to
train them like espaliered fruit trees.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/

NO! Use CAMB GUARDS around tree branch to diect so it does not wound the
stem by string. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/

As far as pruning here is your best bet:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

Here is my site on pruning:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

I would bne happy to offer a pruning class with dissections. Also a very
good book for you is: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Is there anyone who has experience in this matter who can maybe help
me with a quick fix?
Ben