Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shaping Lilac Tree

I have planted four Lilac trees at the back of my property for
eventual privacy above the six foot fence. I hope to create an above
ground hedge

I would like to try and bend some of the branches horizontally.
There is 6mm bonsai wire available good for maybe 3/8' branches.

I could wire them to the ground for a season or two or string wires to
train them like espaliered fruit trees.

Is there anyone who has experience in this matter who can maybe help
me with a quick fix?
Ben
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ben" wrote in message
I have planted four Lilac trees at the back of my property for
eventual privacy above the six foot fence. I hope to create an above
ground hedge

I would like to try and bend some of the branches horizontally.
There is 6mm bonsai wire available good for maybe 3/8' branches.

I could wire them to the ground for a season or two or string wires to
train them like espaliered fruit trees.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/

NO! Use CAMB GUARDS around tree branch to diect so it does not wound the
stem by string. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/

As far as pruning here is your best bet:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

Here is my site on pruning:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

I would bne happy to offer a pruning class with dissections. Also a very
good book for you is: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

Consulting Buttercup
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.

Is there anyone who has experience in this matter who can maybe help
me with a quick fix?
Ben

1