Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
gasdoctor gasdoctor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post
In article ,
gasdoctor
wrote:
[color=blue][i]
gasdoctor;793682 Wrote:
Hi,

Ive had an awful spring as regards veggies.

I planted out 3 outdoor cucumbers which had been grown from seed in a
greenhouse. I let them acclaimatise for a week or so outside before
potting them into a large trough. I put some hozelock water retaing mat
in the trough as directed on the pack.

The cucs did well for about a week and looked really healthy.
Then one wilted and now another. No discoloration, compost nice and
moist.

I think I either over watered them or they got cold/draught.
Ive grown cucs in same pos (different pots) last year with great
success.

Any thoughts so I dont kill off the next batch (from a garden centre
)?

" gonzo

Default Cucumbers wilted
So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have?
If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened
off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have
some melons headed that way.

If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body,
then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or
the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables!
Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not
desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy
roots."

Look at the pictures on
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...rop/pp656w.htm
or
hgic.clemson.edu/pdf/HGIC2206.pdf
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

I bought some more plants and they wilted aswell.
Its seems to be some kinda fungal infection from a damp spring possibly bacterial.

Ill give it one more go with new plants and soil and regular insecticide/fungicide spraying.