Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
www.locoworks.com www.locoworks.com is offline

Default Tomatoes curling up like corkscrews

On Jun 4, 6:52�pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Dan

Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?