Old 05-06-2008, 03:59 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default Identification-request

Cornelius Drautz wrote in news:6akojrF34q29fU1
@mid.dfncis.de:

"mel turner" wrote:

When the clump of plants gets too large you can divide it into
smaller clumps or into single plants, discarding the old parts
that have already flowered.

OK, so how do I divide the plant? Do I just cut the purple parts as
low as possible? And what to do next? Just put them into another pot
of soil? Or do I put it into a glass of water?

Would be very sad, if i killed the new offsets by treating them
incorrectly.

Thanx for further advice!

I have grown bromeliads in the past, the type that you have are easy to
grow. I would wait a while, when the new growth has roots, you can tear it
off the mother plant. Pot it into new soil of the type that you are getting
success with the original one, water it normally, and keep water in the
bucket part. Bromeliads get most of their water from within their leafy
bucket, and not so much from their roots.

Sean