Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default 1st cut for newly seeded lawn - what Mower Type?

tony w wrote:
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't
want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I
recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV,
all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or
lateral is the key point.

The term rotary mower refers to one with a blade that cuts grass with
the rotary action alone. It literally whacks the top of grass off. The
other type I think you are referring to, is a reel mower where there is
a scissors action between the reel and the bed-knife. A sharp and
properly adjusted reel mower will give a better cut and is better for
the grass. However they are not nearly as convenient.

--
Art