Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered User

Default 1st cut for newly seeded lawn - what Mower Type?

Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV, all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or lateral is the key point.

Which one do I need then, the vertical axis mower or the lateral axis mower?

PLUS, I've noticed some of my neighbours have left their newly seeded grass to grow up to 4 inches or more, but I though you should cut it before it reaches that height...... but they might know more than me.......

thanking you.....
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
tony w

Normally, people don't have a lot of choice in the matter, as they
usually already have a mower. Any typical power rotary mower with a
sharp blade will do fine.

How high to cut it depends on the type of grass. Generally, you don't
need to let new grass get real high. You can cut it to about the
same height as you normally would maintain the lawn.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Jun 5, 9:52 am, tony w wrote:
[...]

Guess I'm not "normal" chuckle I let it grow 4 or more and cut it with a
higher than normal mower deck the first time. Probly doesn't make much
difference. As previously stated, a "sharp" blade would be desireable tho.

Sarge

Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 5, 3:48*pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 5, 9:52 am, tony w wrote:

[...]

What I meant was that normally people don't have a choice in the TYPE
of mower they use, because they aren't going to go looking for a
special one.

Probly doesn't make much
difference. *As previously stated, a "sharp" blade would be desireable tho.

Yes, whether it's cut a 3 or 4 probably doesn't make a lot of
difference. But it isn't advantageous to hold off too long either,
because when you cut the grass, it removes a hormone that is generated
at the leaf tips. That hormone helps regulate the growth of the plant
and with it gone, it encourages the grass to grow faster and spread
out.

Sarge- Hide quoted text -

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

What ever mower type you use the blade should be professionally sharpened.
You want a clean quick cut not a ripping.

--
909090...J

Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message

On Jun 5, 9:52 am, tony w wrote:

[...]

not sure why the previous post isn't marked

I'm at a disadvantage here Trader - I don't have a "nice" lawn. And I don't
always mow it properly - sometimes I just run around quickly and hit high
spots LOL. In the spring when grass is growing quickly and I wait till it
dries up a little, sometimes there are spots 6" high. Where I am I don't
care if it grows or not - therefore I can't kill it. Even running over it
with a farm tractor with tire chains - or burning in a barrel - it grows
right back. Wouldn't be that cooperative if it was in a place where I
cared. chuckle

Sarge

Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

tony w wrote:
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't
want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I
recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV,
all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or
lateral is the key point.

The term rotary mower refers to one with a blade that cuts grass with
the rotary action alone. It literally whacks the top of grass off. The
other type I think you are referring to, is a reel mower where there is
a scissors action between the reel and the bed-knife. A sharp and
properly adjusted reel mower will give a better cut and is better for
the grass. However they are not nearly as convenient.

--
Art
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Dunmow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony w View Post
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV, all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or lateral is the key point.

Which one do I need then, the vertical axis mower or the lateral axis mower?

PLUS, I've noticed some of my neighbours have left their newly seeded grass to grow up to 4 inches or more, but I though you should cut it before it reaches that height...... but they might know more than me.......

thanking you.....
Grass is tuff stuff, Dont let it get up to 4 inches, cut it when it gets to about 2 inches, and keep it at about 1 inch.
99% of mowers in the UK are rotary, the cylinder ones do cut the grass better they shear it rather than swiping at it. But there a lot more bother. Also I have found that most cylinder mowers cut too close for a healthy sward.
If you can borrow a roller it would be a good time to roll the grass. (Probably the only time that its ever needed) New grass will be pushe over by the mower and the shoot inside the yiller will be allowed to pop out and thicken up the grass. Also it firms up the soil which will be loose from the new sowing.

I hope I have done this right .. its the first time I've posted in a forum.
Bye!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

If using a rotary mower on new grass, have a freshly sharpened blade and run
the mower at a lower speed. This will reduce damage to very small grass
plants and prevent the mower from sucking up any soil and/or germinating
seed from bare and loose spots between the areas of growth.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Registered User

Thanks to All,

Great advice, now need to buy a mower......

Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Ipswich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony w View Post
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV, all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or lateral is the key point.

Which one do I need then, the vertical axis mower or the lateral axis mower?

PLUS, I've noticed some of my neighbours have left their newly seeded grass to grow up to 4 inches or more, but I though you should cut it before it reaches that height...... but they might know more than me.......

thanking you.....

Traditionally a pushed cylinder mower is recommended for a new lawn (ones with the (two, big side wheels) Or you could use a scythe. But a light sharp rotary mower is also suitable. Just remember don't take more a third of the grassses height in one go.
__________________
Regards,

Paul
Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message

Yes, whether it's cut a 3 or 4 probably doesn't make a lot of
difference. But it isn't advantageous to hold off too long either,
because when you cut the grass, it removes a hormone that is generated
at the leaf tips. That hormone helps regulate the growth of the plant
and with it gone, it encourages the grass to grow faster and spread
out.

If this is true, it sounds like an excellent reason to let it grow long befor
you mow. You want it to grow fast and spread out.

The smell of newly cut grass? A.Lee United Kingdom 6 01-09-2007 02:45 PM
seeded lawn rather patchy weed Lawns 7 01-06-2005 06:16 PM
Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn Jim Willsher United Kingdom 9 09-05-2004 05:08 PM
Seeded lawn last October - Need advice MDO Lawns 6 02-03-2004 02:10 PM
Seeded lawn last October - Need advice MDO Lawns 0 01-03-2004 08:56 PM