Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How is thin tree branch grafting done?

Michael Bell wrote:
In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
Thinking about the problems of apple breeders.

The breeder selects the apples he likes, (eats them, I hope) sows the
pips and grows them. It would take some years for the seedlings to
grow into fruiting trees. The way round this would seem to be to cut
the seedlings and graft them onto the branches of a root-stock tree.
Then you might hope to get the next generation a lot quicker. But such
grafting will be a very fiddly job on stems much thinner than most
grafts. How is it done?

Michael Bell

Apples don't come true from seed, so the breeder will likely be very
disappointed
after sowing pips and waiting years for fruit.

Bowden Nursery has an excellent page on grafting, much of it for maples
but applicable to apples, too. HTH.

www.bowden-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplespr.html

That link doesn't work for me, but maybe the server is down for tea!

And I do realise that apple pips don't breed true to type, you have to
wade through a lot of rubbish before you find a good one, yes, that's
well understood!

Whoops Michael, sorry on both counts!

The correct link is

www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplespr.html