Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How is thin tree branch grafting done?

Thinking about the problems of apple breeders.

The breeder selects the apples he likes, (eats them, I hope) sows the
pips and grows them. It would take some years for the seedlings to
grow into fruiting trees. The way round this would seem to be to cut
the seedlings and graft them onto the branches of a root-stock tree.
Then you might hope to get the next generation a lot quicker. But such
grafting will be a very fiddly job on stems much thinner than most
grafts. How is it done?

Michael Bell

Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
Thinking about the problems of apple breeders.

The breeder selects the apples he likes, (eats them, I hope) sows the
pips and grows them. It would take some years for the seedlings to
grow into fruiting trees. The way round this would seem to be to cut
the seedlings and graft them onto the branches of a root-stock tree.
Then you might hope to get the next generation a lot quicker. But such
grafting will be a very fiddly job on stems much thinner than most
grafts. How is it done?

I assume it would be by bud grafting rather than by using scions.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Michael Bell wrote:
Thinking about the problems of apple breeders.

The breeder selects the apples he likes, (eats them, I hope) sows the
pips and grows them. It would take some years for the seedlings to
grow into fruiting trees. The way round this would seem to be to cut
the seedlings and graft them onto the branches of a root-stock tree.
Then you might hope to get the next generation a lot quicker. But such
grafting will be a very fiddly job on stems much thinner than most
grafts. How is it done?

Michael Bell

Apples don't come true from seed, so the breeder will likely be very
disappointed
after sowing pips and waiting years for fruit.

Bowden Nursery has an excellent page on grafting, much of it for maples
but applicable to apples, too. HTH.

www.bowden-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplespr.html

-E
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Michael Bell wrote:
In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
Thinking about the problems of apple breeders.

The breeder selects the apples he likes, (eats them, I hope) sows the
pips and grows them. It would take some years for the seedlings to
grow into fruiting trees. The way round this would seem to be to cut
the seedlings and graft them onto the branches of a root-stock tree.
Then you might hope to get the next generation a lot quicker. But such
grafting will be a very fiddly job on stems much thinner than most
grafts. How is it done?

Michael Bell

Apples don't come true from seed, so the breeder will likely be very
disappointed
after sowing pips and waiting years for fruit.

Bowden Nursery has an excellent page on grafting, much of it for maples
but applicable to apples, too. HTH.

www.bowden-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplespr.html

That link doesn't work for me, but maybe the server is down for tea!

And I do realise that apple pips don't breed true to type, you have to
wade through a lot of rubbish before you find a good one, yes, that's
well understood!

Whoops Michael, sorry on both counts!

The correct link is

www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk/japanesemaplespr.html

-E

Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I'll read it carefully.

To cut breeding cycle time as much as possible, I want to graft THIS
YEAR'S growth. I haven't yet found a statement that anybody does this.
I find descriptions in words difficult to follow, but I found the
PICTURES very helpful!

Michael Bell

Old 07-06-2008, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this message?

In message

From: Martin
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc,alt.baldspot,uk.rec.gardening,rec .travel.
europe,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.waterways,soc.penpals
Subject: How is thin tree branch grafting done?
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:00:38 +0100

I keep on seeing things like the above, there is no actual message
body and there is list of irrelevant cross-postings. And now one
appears for a posting of mine!

This doesn't happen in other newsgroups that I am a member of. Is
there a technical fault somewhere or is some kind of scam going on?

Puzzled!

Michael Bell

Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Michael Bell contains these words:
In message

From: Martin
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc,alt.baldspot,uk.rec.gardening,rec .travel.
europe,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.waterways,soc.penpals
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:00:38 +0100

I keep on seeing things like the above, there is no actual message
body and there is list of irrelevant cross-postings. And now one
appears for a posting of mine!

This doesn't happen in other newsgroups that I am a member of. Is
there a technical fault somewhere or is some kind of scam going on?

Probably a demonstration of anti-gardening feeling by some schoolboy who
has been made to help in the garden.

Puzzled!

Don't be, there are too many ****s in this world with access to things
they haven't the brains to comprehend.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
In message
Emery Davis wrote:

Michael Bell wrote:
[...]

I found this link very informative: Thank you!

But I cannot get any of the links to buying to work, nor the e-mail
addresses, so I cannot find my way to buying the grafting knife,
sharpening stone and, most interestingly, the grafting tape that is
shown there.

So, I ask, can anybody help me by pointing to suppliers of these
things:-

Grafting knife
Sharpening stone
Grafting tape - as shown on this link, or are there other kinds?

I would be especially interested in suppliers near my home in
Newcastle on Tyne - it is so much better to see the thing for yourself
than to see a picture on a website!

Looking forward to your replies.

Michael Bell