Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Default 1st cut for newly seeded lawn - what Mower Type?

If using a rotary mower on new grass, have a freshly sharpened blade and run
the mower at a lower speed. This will reduce damage to very small grass
plants and prevent the mower from sucking up any soil and/or germinating
seed from bare and loose spots between the areas of growth.

"Art" wrote in message
tony w wrote:
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't
want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I
recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV,
all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or
lateral is the key point.

The term rotary mower refers to one with a blade that cuts grass with the
rotary action alone. It literally whacks the top of grass off. The other
type I think you are referring to, is a reel mower where there is a
scissors action between the reel and the bed-knife. A sharp and properly
adjusted reel mower will give a better cut and is better for the grass.
However they are not nearly as convenient.

--
Art