Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default spawning

While on the subject of spawning -
I have a small pond that has only one goldfish in it (as well as a bunch of
mosquito fish). This poor little guy (he is probably 2.5") is frantically
trying to swim up the output hose of my water pump. The reason he is the
only one in the pond is last year he chased the other 2 out of the pond to
their demise. None of my other fish do this. So do I put this guy in the
big pond with the much larger fish and hope they keep him in line, do I add
other fish to the smaller pond or do I just wait for the guy to wear himself
out and hopefully not do too much damage to himself before then?
Donna

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Henry & Carolyn" wrote in message
netkent...
I think I saw my koi and goldfish spawning this morning. A lot of tail
flipping near the surface. The last few mornings the pond has been covered
with white foam and looks almost oily. Would that be from the spawning?
Water feels and smells ok, so I don't think it is anything unnatural.
Carolyn

It sure sounds like they spawned. Our koi spawned about a week ago and the
goldfish a few weeks before the koi.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.