Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Lilies - I need more like this!

On Jun 5, 6:22 pm, "dwight" wrote:
I have two small columns of stones in the back yard. In front of each, I
planted three day lilies two years ago. This week, the first of 100 possible
blooms have opened.

A few photos:http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm

My daughter is a huge fan of Tiger Lilies. Here in the Northeastern US,
Tigers are considered weeds - they grow everywhere, seen most alongside the
roadways. Didn't take me long to figure out that no local nurseries sold the
things, and more than one nursery told me to take a shovel, drive out into
the countryside somewhere, and dig some up. So that's exactly what I did.
Like the day lilies, the Tigers have now spread out quickly and are throwing
up dozens of stalks, which usually bloom on Father's Day. One person warmed
me that the Tigers would try to take over my entire back yard. Is that a bad
thing?

After this year's bloom, I'll be transplanting some of the tigers to
strategic places about the property, leaving the rest as a sort of nursery
of my own. I want LOTS of them.

Point is, with no attention or tending from me, these lilies have done
fantastically well. I am not generally an active gardener, but do enjoy
maintenance. I will work on a given area to create an "environment" by
clearing the area, bringing in new plants, and arranging things to my own
liking. But the occasional weeding is the extent of my overall landscaping.

I need more plants like these, that can take care of themselves, grow and
spread, and put forth fantastic beauty year after year.

dwight

Yes, Dwight, the flowers you have pictured are Common Daylily,
Hemerocallis
fulva. (The double flowered variety is Kwanzo) They grow from fleshy,
tuberous
roots.

Tiger lilies are true lilies, Lilium lancifolium. They grow from
bulbs. The petals
are recurved backwards and the blooms have brown/black spots. (Why
people
thought tigers had spots, I don't know, but that's what they named
them)

Whatever you choose to call them, they're both beautiful plants.
Emilie
NorCal