Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_185_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_185_] is offline

Default Are animals he/she ?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
johannes writes:

| But there is probably another layer to this. The use of he/she for an
animal
| usually indicates some affection for the animal. If you were bitten by
| male snake in a forest, you wouldn't say "he bit me". Also, things we
don't
| like to think of, such as a fetus, is referred to as "it".

You are sounding just like a troll. An American troll, too.

That is utter drivel. In normal English, "he" and "she" are normally
used when the sex is relevant or there is some traditional associated
sex (e.g. ships). Where the sex is irrelevant or unknown, the word
"he" is traditionally used for adult humans (now being diluted by the
political correctness dogmatists), and "it" otherwise. A child of
indeterminate and irrelevant gender is traditionally "it".

In German, "child" and "girl" are both neuter. So what?

Anyway, this has essentially damn-all relevance to gardening.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Here here, who gives a monkeys