Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Rusty container for vegetables

On 6/8/2008 5:09 PM, wrote:
Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

Rust is iron oxide. All plants need traces of iron to create
chlorophyll. Few plants will take up more iron from the soil than they
need.

Tomatoes are a good source of iron in our diet. Thus, I think they
might require more iron than some other plants. Therefore, you should
not be concerned. Instead, you will find your tomatoes to be nutritious.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean