Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Mewbie question on pond depth

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:19:12 EDT, "Pat"
wrote:

Do they over-winter in the
bottom of a pond like some other frogs do?

The tree frogs in the PNW over-winter in the yard litter, leaves and such.

Anyway, back to pond depth. I'm in southern Missouri and I've seen winters
with no snow as well as ice several inches deep on the surface of a pond,
even (rarely) a shallow pond frozen almost solid. How dependent on overall
pond size is the likelihood of it freezing solid, or is it all about depth?
If depth is the key, how much do I need? Because I have to do the digging by
hand and I have a bad back (also could hit bedrock not too far down), I want
to make it as shallow as I can get away with and still enable survival of
some animals and plants.

Use of a stock tank heater and pond depth isn't that much of a problem even
in the coldest places. I'm sure you're familiar with the fact stock tanks
aren't even in the ground and stock tank heaters keep the water open for
livestock. I keep one on a remote control so it only runs when it is really
cold. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us