Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
dkat dkat is offline

Default Mewbie question on pond depth

On Jun 9, 7:40 am, "Pat" wrote:
"~ jan" wrote
| If depth is the key, how much do I need?

| Use of a stock tank heater and pond depth isn't that much of a problem
even
| in the coldest places. I'm sure you're familiar with the fact stock tanks
| aren't even in the ground and stock tank heaters keep the water open for
| livestock. I keep one on a remote control so it only runs when it is
really
| cold.

I'd rather not have to use a heater. Still would like to know how to find
out what the "frostline" is.

If you are posting, you have a computer and you have google - www.google.com
.. Do a search for your area using "frost line zone temperature". It
is much more fun for you to pick and choose what info works.

A quick and dirty gave me this. Keep in mind that you want below that
deep enough that the animals have breathing room. You will have to
keep a whole in the ice in any case and a bubbler is often recommended
when things get really cold..

http://www.hpj.com/archives/2004/feb...stlineisim.cfm
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_seasonal...742697,00.html