Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Salting Pond

the best salt is solar rock salt with no additives, the salt comes in huge bags and
is used in water softening systems for humans.

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 08:54:32 EDT, Gill Passman wrote:

Peter Pan wrote:

Could I use something like Instant Ocean?

I asked the same question elsewhere when I needed to add salt to one of
my freshwater tanks in a hurry, only mine was Aqua Medic Reef Salt.
Although, the answer came back that I probably could in an emergency, on
balance I decided against it - cost being a major factor - a very
expensive way to salt a tank let alone a pond...oh, and also that I dug
out some "freshwater aquatic salt" that was hiding in a cupboard...

Go with something cheaper....it'll cost you a fortune to use Marine Salt
even if you do have it to hand

Gill