Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Blanket Weed, Can anyone please advise ?

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:37:35 EDT, craidon
wrote:

I've done limlited rersearch and I'm not sure whether to buy a vac or
use tablets that you pop in and it dissapears ???
Can anyone tell me the best way to keep this weed down ?
Thanks in advance,
Craig.

I'm not sure what might work best for you, but I have a hot tub
converted to a goldfish pond that is in full sun and it for some
reason won't support higher plants, but I just finished a 3 week
battle to rid it of string algae using Algaefix, by Pondcare. I
vacuumed the dead algae from the bottom to keep from dissolving it
back into the pond and feeding more algae. Unfortunately once you
start using a chemical, you are dependent upon a chemical to keep it
controlled. That is the reason I chose Algaefix over aluminum
sulfate. Alum works well and coagulates the dead matter on the
bottom, but repeated use will leave a tiny white ring around a black
liner that can become noticeable if used too often.

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb