Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Old OakTree The Old OakTree is offline

Default Are animals he/she ?

Strange that in French and Italian language, everything is
he/she.

Not particularly strange, since both are derived from Latin
which has genders for everything, although Latin also has
neuter (which does not at all match up with things we'd
describe as 'it')

And English is derived from Germanic, which also has genders
which don't match up. In fact I think English is just about the
only European language which doesn't have genders for all nouns.
So it's actually English which is strange, not French and
Italian.