Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Weed/Plant identification.

In article ,
"Christina Websell" writes:
| "Duncan" wrote in message
|
| I've got the same weed, and decided it must be green alkanet as nothing
| else matches. Like Christina, mine has white splotches on the leaves,
| something the descriptions I found didn't mention and this made me wonder
| about identification. Up the street, in the park, it doesn't have the
| white spots.

There are several related plants that look fairly similar. Lungwort
is positively blotched.

| Tiny
| seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.
|
| I think you are exaggerating a bit! although they do grow well, don't they?

Yes. They don't get to 3' until the second year (at least) in my
garden.

| I just pull up most of the self-seeders and keep a few plants because the
| bees like them so much.

I let mine grow until they get in the way - it's not a pernicious
weed, as it is easy to remove.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.