Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed/Plant identification.

Because the firewall has got the idea that it's an unsafe site, probably
because people have used TinyURL to redirect to unsafe sites.

Switch off your firewall and take a look at __

http://tinyurl.com/2kyjxb

I have never come across an "unsafe"site using tiny -- including this one.
If you move in unsafe circles then it could be different !!

Regards
Pete

Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Would someone kindly identify this weed/plant for me.

It is about 18" tall, has leaves very similar to those of a foxglove and
at first sight it could easily be mistaken for a foxglove. Its flowers
are almost identical to those of a Lithodora 'Heavenly Blue'.
http://tinyurl.com/5ganxe
It has woody roots which are fairly deep and clump forming and is very
invasive, particularly by self seeding.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

I'l have a guess at Borage.

http://www.rawrob.com/wp-content/upl.../04/borage.jpg

I wasn't able to view the original link as my computer's security said it
was a "dangerous site" and removed the original post too! So purely on
the description and the fact that Russel thinks it might be borage, I'll
have a tentative guess at Pentaglottis sempervirens - Green Alkanet,
especially if there are some small white spots on the leaves.
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm
I have it myself and it is *very* invasive from self seeding. I don't
mind a few plants though because the bees love it.

HTH.

I've got the same weed, and decided it must be green alkanet as nothing else
matches. Like Christina, mine has white splotches on the leaves, something
the descriptions I found didn't mention and this made me wonder about
identification. Up the street, in the park, it doesn't have the white spots.

I hate this plant. It is invasive, both self-seeding and perennial. Tiny
seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.The flowers are intense blue, and
unlike borage actually face upwards, but are very small. Hairs on the stem
are scratchy to the point of slight sting, and leave me with a rash. Worst
of all, snails don't eat it.

Duncan

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Duncan" wrote in message

[...]

Now, come on, there's no need to hate it!

It is invasive, both self-seeding and perennial.

Yes, I agree.

Tiny
seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.

I think you are exaggerating a bit! although they do grow well, don't they?
I just pull up most of the self-seeders and keep a few plants because the
bees like them so much.
It serves me right. One day, many years ago I was out for a walk with my
late mother, "Now there's a nice plant" I said. So she said "so why not dig
a small one up as there as so many here and take it back to your garden?"
So, quickly looking around for the wildflower police, I did.
I've never been able to get rid of them since ;-)

Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Christina Websell" writes:
| "Duncan" wrote in message
|
| I've got the same weed, and decided it must be green alkanet as nothing
| else matches. Like Christina, mine has white splotches on the leaves,
| something the descriptions I found didn't mention and this made me wonder
| about identification. Up the street, in the park, it doesn't have the
| white spots.

There are several related plants that look fairly similar. Lungwort
is positively blotched.

| Tiny
| seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.
|
| I think you are exaggerating a bit! although they do grow well, don't they?

Yes. They don't get to 3' until the second year (at least) in my
garden.

| I just pull up most of the self-seeders and keep a few plants because the
| bees like them so much.

I let mine grow until they get in the way - it's not a pernicious
weed, as it is easy to remove.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.