Old 13-06-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Brand new to garden ponds

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:15:23 EDT, "Pat"
wrote:

| Baskets lined with weed fabric

What is weed fabric?

Cloth that people put down and then mulch over so weeds won't grow. Get the
cheap stuff, nothing with root inhibitors on it.

Small fish to eat mosquitos. I am mostly interested in cultivating frogs -
small green frogs - and providing amusement for local birds.

If you want frogs, don't put in fish, they eat frog spawn. At least tree
frog spawn. I'm not sure if anyone else has luck growing frogs with fish in
the pond?

very small pond, definitely under 1k gallons. I am thinking of putting it in
the lowest part of the property and letting it collect rainwater.

Easy maintenance, hopefully. We generally recommend not letting run off
flow into ponds due to all the nutrients and then green water it produces.
It is one of the biggest no no's in the books, don't put it in the lowest
part of the garden for this reason. Plus, rain water is acidic, but frogs
won't care. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us