Old 13-06-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Feeding birds

On 13/6/08 10:10, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
People often ask here if they should go on feeding birds at this time of
year. Judging by our experience, I have to say "yes, please, please do!"
We have two seed feeders in just one small area of the garden and I am
having to completely refill them every two days. I think adult birds must
be using them for easy nourishment for themselves while racing around
finding food for babies. Even in winter I've never known their levels drop
so quickly. By contrast, the peanuts are hardly being touched.

The same here as regards seed feeders, however my peanuts (not available
whole, they have to peck at them)only last about 5 days. However the
main users are a pair of woodpeckers!

The peanuts here are in a special nut feeder and we had a woodpecker on it a
week or two ago but I don't think it's returned. I filled both seed feeders
yesterday and have just looked at them. Both are almost half empty!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com