Old 13-06-2008, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding birds

People often ask here if they should go on feeding birds at this time of
year. Judging by our experience, I have to say "yes, please, please do!"
We have two seed feeders in just one small area of the garden and I am
having to completely refill them every two days. I think adult birds must
be using them for easy nourishment for themselves while racing around
finding food for babies. Even in winter I've never known their levels drop
so quickly. By contrast, the peanuts are hardly being touched.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-06-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
People often ask here if they should go on feeding birds at this time of
year. Judging by our experience, I have to say "yes, please, please do!"
We have two seed feeders in just one small area of the garden and I am
having to completely refill them every two days. I think adult birds must
be using them for easy nourishment for themselves while racing around
finding food for babies. Even in winter I've never known their levels drop
so quickly. By contrast, the peanuts are hardly being touched.

The same here as regards seed feeders, however my peanuts (not available
whole, they have to peck at them)only last about 5 days. However the
main users are a pair of woodpeckers!
Old 13-06-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/6/08 10:10, in article ,
"Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
People often ask here if they should go on feeding birds at this time of
year. Judging by our experience, I have to say "yes, please, please
do!"
We have two seed feeders in just one small area of the garden and I am
having to completely refill them every two days. I think adult birds
must
be using them for easy nourishment for themselves while racing around
finding food for babies. Even in winter I've never known their levels
drop
so quickly. By contrast, the peanuts are hardly being touched.

The same here as regards seed feeders, however my peanuts (not available
whole, they have to peck at them)only last about 5 days. However the
main users are a pair of woodpeckers!

The peanuts here are in a special nut feeder and we had a woodpecker on it
week or two ago but I don't think it's returned. I filled both seed
feeders
yesterday and have just looked at them. Both are almost half empty!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild
tweaking
to do!)

Your bird population is obviously very abstemious. Round here I had a 4
port and a 6 port seed feeder in two adjacent trees and they were emptying
every day. I've replaced the six port with one of these
http://www.haiths.com/product-Squirr...r-BFMERIP1006/ and
adjusted the weight thingy to a point where multiple small birds can use it
simultaneously but more than one Starling causes the ports to block (guess
what's eating my seed!). Even then it needs refilling every 2/3 days and
in the meantime the 4 port runs out. Peanuts last longer and niger even
longer.

Old 13-06-2008, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/6/08 11:25, in article ,
"Graham Harrison" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/6/08 10:10, in article
,
"Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

;-) That's just two of the bird feeders I'm talking about! We have several
in the greenhouses and a shallow cardboard tray is on a table near the till
and is frequently raided by blackbirds, chaffinches and robins. But around
lunchtime I saw a coal tit on the nut feeder - first thing I've seen on it
for some time.
The jackdaws are being taught to feed on leatherjackets in the lawn in front
of the house and there are usually young and a couple of adults ferreting
about there early every morning.

Old 13-06-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
People often ask here if they should go on feeding birds at this time of
year. Judging by our experience, I have to say "yes, please, please do!"
We have two seed feeders in just one small area of the garden and I am
having to completely refill them every two days. I think adult birds must
be using them for easy nourishment for themselves while racing around
finding food for babies. Even in winter I've never known their levels
drop
so quickly. By contrast, the peanuts are hardly being touched.

--
Sacha

Quite a few sites say that one shouldn't make Peanuts available whilst birds
are feeding chicks.

Have no fear. I have many photos of birds taking the peanuts, chewing then
well and THEN feeding the chicks.

YES

YES

YES

Continue to feed the birds all the year..

ALSO, if you are into photography as I am now, put a large dish of water
down, I use a pot saucer some 18" diameter and the birds love it.

I have a performance on stage in a short while but I will post pictures on a
web site tomorrow

Mike

Feeding birds 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 33 01-01-2011 01:29 AM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM