Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 PM
groober

Default My nursery has OGR'S!!

"Mike" wrote in message
: Woo- hoo! I went to the nursery that's just a 5 minute drive from my house
: to look for a b-day gift for my Dad and they have OGR's this year! They
had
: Belinda's Dream, Cecile Brunner, Cherokee Rose, Albertine, Lady Banks,
: Fortune's Double Yellow, Old Blush, Dortmund, Ballerina, Buff Beauty,
: Francis Dubreuil, Monsieur Tiller - and lots more! They were all very
: healthy looking grade 1. This is very cool because I use to have to drive
: into Austin to find OGR's.
:
: I'm going back tomorrow with my wish list. Hooray for me!
:
: Mike
: z8TX
:
:

I recommend Buff Beauty. I'm in Austin (Oak Hill), so we probably have
similar climate. First year I had it, I had only a handful of blooms, and
it looked pretty scraggly, compared to several other OGRs from ARE I planted
at the same time. That winter, it kept growing when others slowed down and
the second year it was the largest by far, with tons of lovely and fragrant
blooms in the spring. I was just out looking at it (third year) and each
cane has about 7-10 clusters of five buds. There has to be 500 buds on the
bush! No blooms yet, but it's going to be something special next week.
After the spring show, it has blooms all year, but never more than a few at
a time. Still, blooms both in August and at Christmas is enough for me.

The soil is lousy, I forget to water, I rarely fertilize, but I did mulch it
with a thick layer of shredded oak.