Old 06-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Mike

Default My nursery has OGR'S!!

Woo- hoo! I went to the nursery that's just a 5 minute drive from my house
to look for a b-day gift for my Dad and they have OGR's this year! They had
Belinda's Dream, Cecile Brunner, Cherokee Rose, Albertine, Lady Banks,
Fortune's Double Yellow, Old Blush, Dortmund, Ballerina, Buff Beauty,
Francis Dubreuil, Monsieur Tiller - and lots more! They were all very
healthy looking grade 1. This is very cool because I use to have to drive
into Austin to find OGR's.

I'm going back tomorrow with my wish list. Hooray for me!

Mike
z8TX

Old 06-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Allegra

"Mike" wrote

Woo- hoo! I went to the nursery that's just a 5 minute drive from my house
to look for a b-day gift for my Dad and they have OGR's this year! They had
Belinda's Dream, Cecile Brunner, Cherokee Rose, Albertine, Lady Banks,
Fortune's Double Yellow, Old Blush, Dortmund, Ballerina, Buff Beauty,
Francis Dubreuil, Monsieur Tiller - and lots more! They were all very
healthy looking grade 1. This is very cool because I use to have to drive
into Austin to find OGR's.

I'm going back tomorrow with my wish list. Hooray for me!

Mike
z8TX

Who has Cherokee? Hello Mike, I wrote to Chamblee and to Antique
Rose Emporium and everyone is sold out or has the babies I don't want
to nurse in the back forties. Old Blush and Ballerina are killers! Our
Ballerina was a twiggy thing of about 4-inch last October, and you should
see her now. Francis Dubreuil is an old love of mine. I am going to bed,
you just gave me a case of the envies! What do you have in your wish
list? I am debating between getting two climbing Icebergs for the back
fence or two Cherokees. Neither one seems to be a choice right now.
Since I am not really in a hurry I didn't mind, but now I find out that
someone has Cherokee and BH are looking at each other wondering,
who? I thought we had covered all bases.

It is 3:28 AM with the change of time and this is either too late or too
early to be talking roses...good night Mike.

Allegra

You must buy Albertine! She is divine and growing happily in the east
bed. You will adore the fragrance, I promise you that.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 PM
groober

:
: I'm going back tomorrow with my wish list. Hooray for me!
:
: Mike
: z8TX
:
:

I recommend Buff Beauty. I'm in Austin (Oak Hill), so we probably have
similar climate. First year I had it, I had only a handful of blooms, and
it looked pretty scraggly, compared to several other OGRs from ARE I planted
at the same time. That winter, it kept growing when others slowed down and
the second year it was the largest by far, with tons of lovely and fragrant
blooms in the spring. I was just out looking at it (third year) and each
cane has about 7-10 clusters of five buds. There has to be 500 buds on the
bush! No blooms yet, but it's going to be something special next week.
After the spring show, it has blooms all year, but never more than a few at
a time. Still, blooms both in August and at Christmas is enough for me.

The soil is lousy, I forget to water, I rarely fertilize, but I did mulch it
with a thick layer of shredded oak.

Old 07-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

No way! And BTW - That's not Mr. Lincoln. That's a triffid.

Oh yes. I don't recall what brand they were, but seems to me it wasn't an
"off brand." I planned to go this weekend, but got suckered into going on a
"baby shower" trip. Feh. I hid outside for most of the day, cleaning the
beds, fertilizing and turning the soil in the container roses, and then
wrapping the bases with weed matting, to prevent them from "catching" any
weeds in the containers. Then I got caught, and whisked off for two and a
half hours looking at overpriced baby merchandising in Toys R Us. I would
really like to spend more time this summer enjoying them by sitting back in
the lawn swing with a margarita, than enjoying them by pulling the weeds
out...

BTW, it's the Super Walmart in Salisbury, MD, on the Eastern Shore. I picked
up a pair of tree roses, that I "didn't" need, an Iceberg and something
else.

Scopata Fuori

Old 07-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Mike

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:
[...]

I guess they're entitled to call it "super" WalMart if they're carrying
something like Ballerina, huh?

I envy you not the baby shower shopping. double feh ungood. Worst thing is,
the baby doesn't even appreciate it. You could've bought a rose, wrote
"Homer" on the side of the container, and offered to take it if the baby
didn't like the gift...

You may not have "needed" the Iceberg tree rose, but Iceberg works so well
in any form, I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Perhaps they
were Jackson & Perkins? I've been seeing their roses everywhere lately.

Mike
z8TX

Old 07-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Mike

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003, "groober" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Groober,

I'm in Georgetown, so we do share the climate, other than the fact that
Georgetown always seems to be under a dry hole in the clouds whenever we
get any rain in the area.

I almost ordered Buff Beauty earlier this year, and went with another
climber instead. I have so many new climbers this year I hesitate to get
another one. I do have a large expanse of fence to work with here, but I do
hate digging through the limestone in the ummmm...uncultivated areas. I
know I'm going to end up with every square inch of that thing covered in
roses, though - so why fight it? I have three Abraham Darbys climbing up
and over it now in one spot. They're putting on a similiar show as to what
you mentioned regarding your Buff Beauty. Just covered in buds. I can't
wait for that display.

When you say the soil is lousy, are you referring to the "choked with
limestone" effect we have here? I actually think the little pockets of soil
trapped in the layers of caliche is pretty excellent though. Once you dig
and dig and dig and get rid of the limestone, things seem to go
gangbusters. I mulch heavily as well. I use what they call Texas Native
Hardwood Mulch. I'm sure that means (mostly) live oak. :-) If you have a
truck and the time, you can go to the recycling center in Round Rock and
pick up truckloads of mulch for free. They let landscapers and homeowners
dump brush there and they shred it up and let the public come and help
themselves. They have big huge steaming piles of the stuff, and it is
excellent. Can't beat the price!

Mike
z8TX

Old 07-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Cass

groober wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

: Woo- hoo! I went to the nursery that's just a 5 minute drive from my house
: to look for a b-day gift for my Dad and they have OGR's this year! They
had
: Belinda's Dream, Cecile Brunner, Cherokee Rose, Albertine, Lady Banks,
: Fortune's Double Yellow, Old Blush, Dortmund, Ballerina, Buff Beauty,
: Francis Dubreuil, Monsieur Tiller - and lots more! They were all very
: healthy looking grade 1. This is very cool because I use to have to drive
: into Austin to find OGR's.

Hey, Mike, would you buy Belinda's Dream and beta test it for me? I
*think* I want it bad.

I bought a Climbing Old Blush in January, and it has already earned a
place in the ground. I love the mauvey pink, and it grows like corn.

Fortune's Double Yellow is not for the faint of heart, viciously
thorny. But the spring flowers are unlike anything else. And it can
take shade, lots of it. Of course, before you buy it, you should see
this: http://members.cruzio.com/~perry/BeautGlaz.jpg

I recommend Buff Beauty. I'm in Austin (Oak Hill), so we probably have
similar climate. First year I had it, I had only a handful of blooms, and
it looked pretty scraggly, compared to several other OGRs from ARE I planted
at the same time. That winter, it kept growing when others slowed down and
the second year it was the largest by far, with tons of lovely and fragrant
blooms in the spring. I was just out looking at it (third year) and each
cane has about 7-10 clusters of five buds. There has to be 500 buds on the
bush! No blooms yet, but it's going to be something special next week.
After the spring show, it has blooms all year, but never more than a few at
a time. Still, blooms both in August and at Christmas is enough for me.

I keep hearing how great it is in other gardens. Rats! The fall flush
is really good.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Mike

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003, Cass wrote:
Hey, Mike, would you buy Belinda's Dream and beta test it for me? I
*think* I want it bad.

Done and done. Got two yesterday. Tired of listening to everyone gloat over
their little Belinda and me not having one. I wanted Monsieur Tillier, too
- but some selfish person bought everyone they had before I could get to
him. The owner said he's getting another shipment of the OGR's on Thursday,
so guess who's going to be at the nursery at 9am that day?

I bought a Climbing Old Blush in January, and it has already earned a
place in the ground. I love the mauvey pink, and it grows like corn.

If you like deep mauvey pink, try Thomas Affleck from ARE. It's also
fragrant and thornless.

Fortune's Double Yellow is not for the faint of heart, viciously
thorny. But the spring flowers are unlike anything else. And it can
take shade, lots of it. Of course, before you buy it, you should see
this: http://members.cruzio.com/~perry/BeautGlaz.jpg

Egad! What a monster! And people yelled at me for getting Mermaid? My Dad
has planted this one next to his shed. Should I warn him or just stand back
and laaaaaaaaugh...

Mike
z8TX

Repeat OGR and winter expose Kirra Roses 1 11-03-2004 05:37 PM
Repeat OGR and winter expose Kirra Roses 0 11-03-2004 12:30 PM
Greenwood Nursery now has plants that are not commonly found! Earl Buchan Gardening 3 12-02-2003 06:55 PM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM
Free Shipping at Greenwood Nursery! (Excluding Alaska & Hawaii) Earl Buchan Gardening 0 24-01-2003 07:13 PM