Old 13-06-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone identify a weed and a fungus?!?

In article ,
says...
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room
between patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

It looks like elder. It won't make your house fall over :-)

I don't think it's elder - too many leaflets in the leaves. My thought
was ash. I think the stems are more consistent with ash as well; if I
recall correctly elder tends to be hollow-stemmed. (The other
possibility that I considered was box elder aka ash-leaved maple, but
there's too many leaflets for that as well.)

If you must kill it use glyphosate and BE PATIENT!

The second problem is a fungus that's growing on a wooden bench, any tips
how to get rid of this would also be appreciated.

There seem to be two there, it's not uncommon. Can't put a name to them
without my book though.

And since I've never tired to kill a fungus - except by making bread - I
don't know how to do it. someone will be along soon to tell you :-)

Mary

I thought it may be campsis, the habit is wrong for a tree.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk