Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone identify a weed and a fungus?!?

I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room between
patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

The second problem is a fungus that's growing on a wooden bench, any tips
how to get rid of this would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

weed: http://i29.tinypic.com/68tvug.jpg

fungus: http://i28.tinypic.com/24vobyp.jpg

Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room
between patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

It looks like elder. It won't make your house fall over :-)

If you must kill it use glyphosate and BE PATIENT!

The second problem is a fungus that's growing on a wooden bench, any tips
how to get rid of this would also be appreciated.

There seem to be two there, it's not uncommon. Can't put a name to them
without my book though.

And since I've never tired to kill a fungus - except by making bread - I
don't know how to do it. someone will be along soon to tell you :-)

Mary

Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room
between patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

It looks like elder. It won't make your house fall over :-)

I don't think it's elder - too many leaflets in the leaves. My thought
was ash. I think the stems are more consistent with ash as well; if I
recall correctly elder tends to be hollow-stemmed. (The other
possibility that I considered was box elder aka ash-leaved maple, but
there's too many leaflets for that as well.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's
one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make
my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled
it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room
between patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

It looks like elder. It won't make your house fall over :-)

I don't think it's elder - too many leaflets in the leaves. My thought was
ash.

Sorry - you're right. I meant ash :-(

Mary

Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have the weed growing in my garden, I'm told be a neighbour that it's
one
of these "superweeds" whose roots will eventually lift my patio and make
my
house fall over. Any ideas what it is, and how to kill it? I've tried
spraying it with weedkiller, I've drilled down the main stem and filled
it
with weedkiller but it still comes back and I don't have enough room
between patio and fence to dig it out or burn it.

It looks like elder. It won't make your house fall over :-)

I don't think it's elder - too many leaflets in the leaves. My thought was
ash.

Sorry - you're right. I meant ash :-(

Definitely ash.

I wonder what the neighbour thought it was? ;-)

--
Kay

Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

Quicker - cut it down to a stump, drill a hole in the stump and fill with
sodium chlorate crystals.

The fungus look like fruiting bodies of dry rot.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Russel Sprout" writes:

| The fungus look like fruiting bodies of dry rot.

Not to me, they don't. It is very hard to guess at fungi from just
a picture, but a quick glance at my books indicates that it might be
Dacrymyces deliquescens. See, for example:

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/D...iquescens.html
http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/599

And, yes, it's ash - and, until it is killed dead, it will be a
pain in the posterior and a thread to any adjacent brickwork.
Also, merely cutting it out once a year will not kill it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Russel Sprout" writes:

| The fungus look like fruiting bodies of dry rot.

Not to me, they don't. It is very hard to guess at fungi from just
a picture, but a quick glance at my books indicates that it might be
Dacrymyces deliquescens. See, for example:

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/D...iquescens.html
http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/599

Dacrymyces looks a little too orange. Perhaps Bisporella citrina?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/bisporella_citrina.html

someone

Old 13-06-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

I thought it may be campsis, the habit is wrong for a tree.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-06-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

having looked again it does look more like ash that has been chopped back
and has regrown :~)